For the thumb nail sketches I decided to just trace a print out of a photo I took. I would draw a frame on tracing paper then lay the tracing paper over the printed photo. This was done to experiment with different cropping positions and also different size proportions in regards to how big I wanted my head to be. I decided on a cropping that I was happy with. I went into photo shop to resize and crop the photo. I then reprinted it with the new composition. I moved onto my sketch book to practice with the grid system. This is a new technique for me and the first time I will be working with it. After I tried the grid transfer from the picture to my sketch book which is 9x12”(the drawing was a little smaller than the actual photo). I then moved onto transferring the image using the grid system into a larger drawing pad(18x24). This transfer was done using larger squares within the grid. The sketch was very loose and I realized I was ready to go to the actual piece. The final product will be done on a 24X30” piece of illustration board. Before starting on the final piece I went into the newly printed cropped photo within it my head was much bigger than the photo I was working with for the sketches and redrew another grid with the same size dimensions as the original grid, 1 inch by 1 inch. But since the head was bigger and filled up much more space there ended up being much less information in each square making the transferring much easier. After the transfer was complete I began practicing with color pencils on the thumb nail sketches. This process was done because I was rusty with the color pencils. Where I currently am right now is putting on the first layer of color pencil on the 24x30” illustration board. As you see on the progress pictures there is just a little blue added in the nose and eye area. My original idea was to draw skull features and have it look like my face is painted in the drawing but I’m debating on whether or not to follow through with that original idea.
The problems I ran into where many. For the most part they have to do with indecisiveness. I have a million ideas on how to do this project and my procrastination seems to make me think I should not go any farther until I have thought out and experimented with all those ideas before continuing with the project. So I ended up sitting on a sketch on the illustration board all Sunday and then finally on Monday I decided to just go with my original ideas and begin the coloring process. The main concept I was struggling with was whether or not to use the white of the paper to create the image of white face paint under the black face paint. And if I was going to do that I would have to plot out the areas where I was doing that and avoid pressing hard with color pencil in those designated areas.